December 2 2004
Philippines in fear of third typhoon
02/12/2004 - The seven SOS Children's Villages in the Philippines have so far been spared by devastating floods hitting the country during the last few days. According to recent reports, more than 500 people have been killed by flooding and landslides, another 400 people are missing. However, the island state faces the possible arrival of another typhoon today which is said to bring about even more devastation.
According to a report provided yesterday by Bienvenido Delgado, director of SOS Children's Villages Philippines, none of the seven SOS Children's Villages was hit. Most SOS Children's Village facilities are located on the southern or central islands. The country's northern and eastern regions were hit particularly strongly by flash floods and landslides resulting from two typhoons.
Disaster relief teams are faced with the extremely difficult and virtually impossible task of accessing the areas hit by disaster. Evacuation and assistance measures have to be organised under high pressure before the arrival of the next typhoon. SOS Children's Villages is prepared to help afflicted children should the need arise.
Another typhoon is currently approaching the Philippines, with the harbinger of the storm fearfully expected to make landfall today. "Yoyong" is said to be even stronger than the tropical storms experienced during the last days, packing winds of more than 200 kph, which could again leave a devastating trail in the areas already hit by disaster. According to Bienvenido Delgado, even the SOS Children's Villages in Calbayog, Tacloban, Manila and Lipa may be hit by the storm should no change in direction and strength occur.